Mortal Engines is an upcoming post-apocalyptic adventure film directed by Christian Rivers and with the screenplay written by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson. It is based on the novel of the same name by Philip Reeve. An American-New Zealand co-production, the film is set in a post-apocalyptic steampunk world where entire cities have been mounted on wheels and motorised, and prey on one another. It stars Hugo Weaving, Hera Hilmar, Robert Sheehan, Jihae, Ronan Raftery, Leila George, Patrick Malahide and Stephen Lang.
Tom is a twenty-something Londoner who has only ever lived inside his travelling hometown, and his feet have never touched grass, mud or land. His first taste of the outside comes quite abruptly: Tom gets in the way of the masked Hester’s attempt to kill Thaddeus Valentine, a powerful man she blames for her mother’s murder, and both Hester and Tom end up thrown out of the moving “traction” city, to fend for themselves
Mortal Engines is scheduled for release in the United States by Universal Pictures on December 14, 2018 and New Zealand on December 7, 2018 in 3D, Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3D
- Hera Hilmar as Hester Shaw, a disfigured, fugitive assassin with a personal vendetta against Thaddeus.
- Robert Sheehan as Tom Natsworthy, a low-class apprentice historian of London thrown out of the city and forced to ally himself with Hester and the resistance.
- Hugo Weaving as Thaddeus Valentine, Head of the Guild of Historians and the father of Katherine Valentine.
- Jihae as Anna Fang, a pilot and leader of the Anti-Traction League, a resistance group banding against the moving cities devouring Earth’s resources.
- Ronan Raftery as Bevis Pod, an apprentice engineer whom Katherine befriends.
- Leila George as Katherine Valentine, daughter of Thaddeus Valentine and one of London’s elite.
- Patrick Malahide as Magnus Crome, the Mayor of London.
- Stephen Lang as Shrike, the last of an undead battalion of soldiers known as Stalkers, who were war casualties reanimated with machine parts. He raised Hester and now works for Crome.